- Veterans Resource Center
- Veterans free laptop program
- Chapter 31 Voc Rehab (VR&E)
- New Student Veterans
- Residency Forms
- Veterans Request for Certification
- Sheriff & Fire Academies
- External Partners
- Virtual Tutoring
- LiveChat with a Staff Member
- Contact us & Hours of Operation
- Student Veteran Resources
- COVID-19 Updates and Resources
STEPS TO INITIATE VA EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS
Step 1: Apply for GI Bill Benefits
The Department of Veterans Affairs has an excellent step by step road map that you should review to help you determine your benefit eligibility, compare programs, calculate your benefit, collect your paperwork, and apply for VA benefits online.
The Department of Veterans Affairs can take at least 45 days to approve your benefits and often will take longer. Follow detailed steps for your situation below.
Step 2: Apply and Enroll at ELAC
- Apply to ELAC: logon to http:www.elac.edu and select “Apply online.” The Admissions office will email a student ID # and instructions about obtaining a registration appointment.
- Request Transcripts: If you have attended college(s) outside the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD), the transcripts must be mailed to ELAC Admissions Office. (Hand-delivered are not considered official.) 1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez, Monterey Park, CA 91754.
NOTE: You will only be certified the first semester without official transcripts. VA Certification requests will not be processed unless you provide an updated Student Educational Plan (SEP) as proof of counselor official transcript evaluation.
To schedule an appointment with a Veterans Counselor click here: Veterans Resource Center Appointment Scheduling Center
- Financial Aid: applying for financial aid is highly recommended as it will not affect VA benefits. Logon to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Step 3: Turn in Your Documents
You will need to turn in the following military documents to the ELAC School Certifying Official in Building D7A, Room 101C.
- Your Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you. (If you have not received it, bring a copy of your Application for VA Educational Benefits)
- Your discharge (DD214-Member 4) or Certificate of Eligibility (COE) papers.
- Signed ELAC Veteran's Statement of Responsibility.
Step 4: Certify for Benefits Each Semester
Certification is not automatic.To have your certification submitted to the VA, you must register for classes, complete the Certification of Benefits form and contact the ELAC School Certifying Official in the Veterans Resource Center, Building D7-A before the start of each semester.