Complete the following upon receiving your ELAC Acceptance Letter.
1. Obtain or Transfer SEVIS Record
a. Pay I-901 SEVIS Fee
Please be advised of a I-901 fee must be paid before applying for your F1 visa. A video, available on Study in the States website have steps of paying the I-901 SEVIS fee by payment in U.S. dollars by credit card on fmjfee.com, or by check, money order or Western Union.
b. Apply and obtain an F-1 International Student Visa
Apply for an F-1 International Student Visa using the DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form. You must contact the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate’s office for exact information regarding documents needed and procedures when applying.
If you are a student currently in the United States with a valid I-20, you must provide a copy of your East Los Angeles College (ELAC) acceptance letter to your current school and request they transfer your active SEVIS record to ELAC.
- Arrange Travel to the U.S. Note that F -1 visa holders cannot enter the U.S. earlier than 30 days before the start date of the I -20 form.
- Required Documents for U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer:
- Passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)
- Original form of I-20
- Evidence of financial resources
- Letter of acceptance issued by ELAC
- Housing - Secure housing accommodations either through home stay options, apartment/house rental, hotel, or room rental.
- Money/Bank - Figure out how much money you will need for tuition, fees, and living costs. Plan how to get money from home while you are in the U.S..
- Medical Supplies - Bring extra household medicines, contact lenses, or glasses.
- Emergency Contacts - Write down your emergency contacts with phone numbers and addresses to bring with you.
- Transcripts - Bring additional official English copies of transcripts from high schools, colleges or universities previously attended.
- Transportation - Arrange pick up from airport.
Hours and Contact
Monday - Thursday:
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed on Saturday, Sunday & College Holidays
The International Student Office is located in G1-101.
Please provide your Full name and Student ID Number.