PURPOSE & POLICIES
ASSESSMENT PURPOSE AND IMPORTANCE
The purpose of the Assessment Placement Process is to properly identify your English, Reading, and Math skill levels. East Los Angeles College uses carefully selected assessment instruments to appropriately assess student skill levels. Accurate course placements will enable students to successfully complete courses, and complete the appropriate course skills sequence, to meet their educational goals.
Assessments are offered in an open-entry computerized lab setting. Students are admitted ONLY during assessment lab hours. All new students must take both English and Math during the same sitting.
- Upon reaching capacity, admittance time will vary.
- No admittance for students without a valid Photo ID (CA ID/DL, Recent Passport, or Recent High School ID)
- Note: Photocopies of Photo IDs are not accepted; No Exceptions
- No Calculators, Dictionaries, Cell Phones, iPod/MP3 Players, or other electronic devices allowed.
- Please view current assessment calendar and plan for a date and time to participate.
- Early participation is strongly recommended as attendance peaks during the weeks prior to the start of each semester/session.
- Students should review the sample test questions prior to assessing.
- Ensure you are not ill, pressed for time, and are well rested on the day of participation.
ASSESSMENT RETEST POLICY
Students must wait one year from their most recent ELAC assessment test to retest.
STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
If a student experiences difficulties due to a verified learning or physical disability, the student may wish to contact the Disabled Students Program & Services (DSP&S) in E1-160 or call (323) 265-8787 for information on alternative test-taking arrangements prior to assessment participation. Such alternative test-taking arrangements are only available for students with documented disabilities.