What is AB 540?
AB 540, signed into law on October 12, 2001, authorizes any student, including undocumented students who meet specific criteria to pay in-state tuition at California's public colleges and universities (e.g. California Community Colleges, California State University, University of California).
Any student, except a person in nonimmigrant status, who meets the requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at all public colleges and universities in California if they meet the following requirements:
- Attended a California high school for 3 years or more;
- Graduated from a California high school with a high school diploma or attained the equivalent (GED);
- Be registered or currently enrolled in one of the three state institutions of higher education in California.; and,
- Filed an affidavit with the college or university stating that they will file an application to adjust their immigration status as soon as they are eligible.
How to apply for AB540?
- Complete an Admissions Application in person at the Enrollment office in E1-121 or apply online at www.elac.edu and select Apply Online on the top right hand corner.
- Complete an AB 540 Affidavit (California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request) in the Enrollment Office E1-121 or click on the AB 540 Affidavit link.