Associate Degree Program
Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer Communication is an essential part of the human experience. This Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer explores and analyzes the ways in which communication takes place in the public sphere, between individuals, in new media, and in other contexts.
Students who successfully earn the AA-T in Communication Studies by completing a maximum of 60 transferable units are guaranteed transfer admission into a California State University campus to further their study of Communication.
Students who earn the Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer will be able to transfer to a four-year CSU institution to pursue baccalaureate studies in Communication or a related field.
- Define and apply the communication theory in daily life.
- Recognize and use different types of communication techniques and media.
- Practice effective communication strategies in personal, public, and professional settings.
- Completion of 60 CSU transferable semester units:
- 18 semester units in the approved Communication Studies courses;
- 9-11 CSU transferable elective courses;
- 31-33 of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education-Breadth Requirements (CSU GE);
- Achieve a grade point average of 2.0.
- Earn a C or better in major area courses.
Notes: No remedial or non-collegiate level course work will be counted in the total units for this degree. A grade of "P" (pass) is not acceptable for the major courses.
Associate in Arts Degree
Subject & No. Course Units
|COMM 101 Oral Communication I||3|
|COMM 104 Argumentation||3|
|COMM 121 The Process of Interpersonal Communication||3|
|COMM 151 Small Group Communication||3|
|Any course from LIST A not already used above or|
|COMM 106 Forensics||3|
|COMM 130 Oral Interpretation of Literature||3|
|JOURNAL 105 Mass Communications||3|
|Any course articulated as lower division preparation for the Communication Studies major at a CSU: JOURNAL 202 Advanced Newswriting||3|
|Any course from LIST A or B not already used above|
|ANTHRO 102 Human Ways of Life: Cultural Anthropology||3|
|English 102 College Reading and Composition II||3|
|English 103 Composition and Critical Thinking||3|
|JOURNAL 101 Collecting and Writing News||3|
|PSYCH 1 General Psychology I||3|
|SOC 1 Introduction to Sociology||3|
|Any CSU transferable Communication Studies course:|
|COMM 102 Oral Communication II||3|
|IGETC or CSU GE Pattern||28-30|
Note: 37 - 39 GE unit total is reduced due to double counting of 9 units of major courses towards general education